Small Wonders is a national commissioning and professional development initiative creating outdoor work for the under fives and their families. Run by Bristol based Alchemy Productions it is funded by Arts Council England along with seven national festival partners:Activate Performing Arts; FUSE Medway Festival; Hat Fair; IF Milton Keynes International Festival; Mintfest and Chelmsford City Council.
The consortium aims to:
- produce high quality outdoor arts for early years audiences
- create work that is affordable and sustainable
- collaborate to commission new work
- encourage the engagement of indoor early years practitioners to respond to the outdoors
- advocate for the consortium within the outdoor arts sector
- share best practice and expertise
- solicit the best relationships and partnerships
- develop the work alongside children and young people
- work with specialists in the fields of child development throughout the process
- support the creation of work through critical development
Alchemy Productions has been commissioned by the consortium to manage the project on their behalf.
Small Wonders is not about creating spectacle, it is about creating beautiful things in small packages.
High quality visual and performing arts projects for the under 5s have been blossoming and developing for many years in theatres, galleries, museums and other indoor spaces across the UK. This work has engaged very young children in unique and innovative ways that not only succeed in introducing the next generation to the arts but also provided distinctive educational and learning experiences. Similarly, through investment and support over the last twenty years, the outdoor arts sector has produced some of the most memorable and talked about festivals, spectacles and community celebrations in recent times.
Small Wonders aims to bridge the gap between these two fields, guiding companies to create high quality outdoor performances.