Outdoor Arts Development Course
Artists and Companies were invited to apply for a FREE place (funded through the Culture + scheme) on an exciting new course for artists from all disciplines who were keen to learn how to create work for an outdoor public event, installation, performance or screening.
The course was particularly relevant if the artists or companies were planning to develop work for festivals, showcases and celebrations.
We targetted Artists who had some experience of working in a studio, theatre or other indoor space and were ready to start making work for the outdoors, either as an individual or in collaboration with other artists.
The course was also of benefit to those who had some experience of outdoor arts and were ready to further push their practise.
· Emerging Artists
· Practicing artists
The course was led by Dorset’s professional Outdoor Arts organisations:
2 hubs were created within Dorset; in the South & West and another in the East.
The course consisted of 2 intensive weekends of workshops at each hub.
The course will included:
· Ideas from Studio/theatre/concept to site – exploration and development of ideas
· Site specific & site responsive – methodologies, scoping, limitations, legal side
· Budgeting and Fundraising
· Understanding, developing and preparing a pitch
· Script, shoot and edit a promotional Digital Video
· Evaluation and Reporting
Participants from each hub were given the option to pitch for a place on the Dorset Festivals Consortium Mentoring Scheme.
3 successful participants will have the opportunity of support from a Mentor and will also receive a small grant to develop their ideas through to a produced event.
Participation presents opportunities for collaboration with other artists. All workshops will take place at weekends between 12 Jan 2019 and 3 March 2019 and the deadline for applications is 12 December 2018.
Phone: 01305 260954 | Mobile: 07918 655755
What is Culture+?
Culture+ is a free programme of activity that supports artists, arts organisations and SME tourism business to thrive in Dorset, Bournemouth and Poole.
There are three strands of our work:
We support individuals and organisations within in the arts sector to adopt essential business principles in order to survive, develop and expand their practices.
This includes workshops, talks and one-to-one mentoring on subjects such as
- business planning and development,
- financial management,
- marketing communication,
- product development,
- and market diversification.
We work on creating partnerships between Dorset’s tourism businesses and its wealth of culture and heritage organisations to discover new ways of working together for the economic benefit of both, and Dorset as a whole. This includes
- providing tourism businesses with the tools to unlock the value of including culture in their planning and delivery
- working together with communities to develop cultural tourism packages that attract visitors and maximise income
- developing 3 signature festival events in 2019 to promote Dorset to new markets.
Culture+ Social Impact
This strand encourages the arts and culture communities in Dorset to consider the interest of society and the environment as a priority in their work. We do this through
- supporting the set-up and development of creative social enterprises
- providing toolkits and resources on how to develop and effectively measure our impact
- delivering workshops and bespoke mentoring to develop creative professionals on this subject.
Here are some case studies of artists who got involved with Culture+, downloadable pdf.