PR & Communications Officer (maternity cover from March 2017)
Salisbury Playhouse is looking for an organised and creative PR & Communications Officer (maternity cover) to join the Comms team at one of the UK’s leading producing theatres. If you have a passion for spreading the word about great theatre and a proven interest in media relations, social media, photography and writing this could be for you.
Closing date for applications: 9am Thursday 2 February 2017
Interviews are planned to take place during the week commencing 13 February; please advise in your application if you are NOT available during this period.
If you wish to have an informal conversation before applying, please contact Tim Croall, Head of Communications & Sales, on 01722 345154.
10 months, £19,000 p.a. (pro-rata)
These responsibilities involve a number of key activities as outlined below:
- To devise PR plans to secure coverage for all the Playhouse’s productions in the Main House and Salberg theatres
- To manage the Playhouse’s PR & media activity; devising and implementing campaigns to secure positive coverage of all the theatre’s activities.
- To liaise with PR reps of incoming visiting productions.
- To co-ordinate press nights, launches and other PR events.
- To play an active role with corporate sponsors and donors, maximising PR for their support.
- To be the Playhouse’s representative and first point of contact for the local, regional and national media.
- To maintain regular contact and develop relationships with regional newspapers, magazines, radio and TV stations in Wiltshire, Hampshire and Dorset.
- To write targeted press releases for distribution to media contacts.
- To ensure the media list contact database is regularly updated.
- To pitch ideas to journalists for features/interviews to promote productions.
- To manage all social media communications for Playhouse activity (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Flickr).
- To compile regular online blogs, working with rehearsing companies and other departments.
- To co-ordinate the filming and circulation of video material (e.g. rehearsal footage, trailers, audience voxpops).
- To work with the Take Part and Development (fundraising) departments to secure coverage of their work.
- To work with the Communications team on campaign planning.
- To ensure listings information is supplied regularly to appropriate outlets.
- To arrange and supervise photo calls for productions, liaising with photographers, directors, stage management etc.
- To arrange and supervise all photography, including rehearsals and production shoots at dress rehearsals.
- To co-ordinate the gathering and circulation of press cuttings for archives, Board members, cast and creative teams.
- To always act in the best interests of Salisbury Playhouse
- To take positive action to promote Equal Opportunities in all aspects of the work of Salisbury Playhouse
- To agree to abide by Salisbury Playhouse policies as set out in the Staff Handbook
- To maintain confidentiality in all areas relating to Salisbury Playhouse
- To be flexible and to undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by Management.
- Experience of working with local media, preferably in an arts-based environment
- Excellent copywriting and communication skills
- An ability to generate original ideas for PR campaigns
- Experience of using social and digital media as PR tools
- An attention to detail
- An interest in theatre
- Experience of dealing with national media journalists
- An awareness of issues relating to arts funding and the theatre industry