Outreach Worker – Audience Development project
Bournemouth Arts by the Sea festival is an inspirational, accessible and diverse annual arts festival which aims to create a stronger presence and profile of the arts in Bournemouth, increasing the range and engagement of audiences in the Borough and beyond. The festival also strives to enhance a sense of community through a celebration of art and culture, people and place.
In 2019, Arts by the Sea announced an exciting new partnership with Without Walls, England’s biggest network of outdoor arts festivals. One of Without Walls’ main aims is to ‘deliver pioneering audience development approaches to widen the audiences for outdoor arts in some of the hardest to reach communities in England’.
Arts by the Sea is collaborating with Without Walls in its own audience development project in 2019, based in West Howe, and is looking for an Outreach Worker to deliver the project.
• Contribute towards Without Walls’ overall Audience Development goals.
• Contribute towards Arts by the Sea’s Audience Development goals.
• Deliver an ‘Arts by the Sea Party’ event in West Howe, based at the Henry Brown Centre, on Saturday 28th September 2019, to engage the local community in arts activities in their locality.
• Work with Neighbourhood Officers, community leaders, community participants and local residents prior to the event, to arrange artistic (and other) content for the Party, and encourage attendance at the event.
• Organise the undertaking of data collection and evaluation during and after the event. Key responsibilities
• Identify and attend community events in the West Howe locality in August and September to raise awareness of the Arts by the Sea Party and encourage attendance.
• Connect with community groups and local bands through organisations like AIM Community and Absolute Music to organise and book artistic content for the event.
• Work with the Arts by the Sea Senior Business Support Officer to book workshops for the event, including Arts & Crafts, Dance, Music taster sessions.
• Work with the Neighbourhood Officer and Arts by the Sea Senior Business Support Officer to organise and book a local ‘Cultural Exchange’ food offering, and any technical equipment needed for the event (staging, PA, gazebo, tables).
• Work within and manage a set budget, overseen by the Arts by the Sea Senior Business Support Officer.
• Work with the Neighbourhood Officer, local leaders and ambassadors to recruit volunteers.
• Distribute marketing material produced for the event by the Arts by the Sea festival team.
• Coordinate and manage delivery of the Arts by the Sea Party event on Saturday 28th September, including creating a delivery plan, timeframe and staffing schedule.
• Oversee collection/ collect of survey and other data during the event.
• Assist with and provide information for a post-event report, to be produced by the Arts by the Sea festival team.
Experience and skills
• Experience working and building relationships with local community groups.
• Experience organising and producing events with numerous participants.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to work under pressure, to deadline and to a fixed budget.
• Strong personal management skills – highly motivated, and proactive in planning, prioritising and managing own work.
• Good understanding of the arts sector and previous experience in audience development.
• An understanding of and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Remuneration: £750 Contract term: Part-time, flexible hours: 19th August – 28th September 2019. (A desk can be provided in Bournemouth Town Hall Annexe, however we envisage most of the work to take place within the community and remote working is acceptable.)
Hours of work: Flexible as per required.
We estimate 8 x ½ days of work prior to the event plus delivery of the event on the day. Costed at £150 per day, total of £750.
Reporting: The post-holder will be expected to report regularly to the Arts by the Sea festival Senior Business Support Officer on progress, by email and telephone.
How to apply
Please send a CV and supporting statement to
Deadline for applications: 5pm Thursday 8th August
Interviews: w/c 12th August
Start date: 19th August