Litter Free Coast and Sea, in partnership with the Arts Development Company, are looking to commission an artist, designer or maker to create an art installation or creative campaign that celebrates the alternative, environmentally friendly packaging some beach kiosks are using.
Litter Free Coast and Sea have been campaigning with businesses to encourage them to change their packaging from single-use plastic to more environmentally friendly methods. This is to help stop sea pollution at source.
This project will celebrate those businesses who have changed their packaging by showing the public the changes they have made. This will hopefully encourage other food outlets to change their packaging.
This project can either be in all four places or can travel to each venue separately.
Please note grid references are for the main seafront locations, but the reach of the project will be wider, involving businesses throughout the towns named.
West Bay SY463905 Weymouth SY680791
Bournemouth SZ 088 907 Lyme Regis SY337922
£9,000 including materials, travel and other expenses
- The successful candidate will liaise with the other partners which include representatives from Dorset Coast Forum, Dorset Food & Drink and the business community.
- Promoting the project which will be the main public-facing output of this part of the project. Support will be provided by both Litter Free Coast & Sea and Dorset Food & Drink officers in terms of social media promotion and officer time organising and attending potential events.
- This project connects to the current programme of work to change the retailer’s behaviour at the 4 locations. Takeaway food outlets are actively encouraged to stop procuring polystyrene, plastic and other toxic materials and replace with recyclable / sustainable models. See http://www.litterfreecoastandsea.co.uk/plastics-surgery/ for further information on the current campaign taking place.
- This is not a passive project. We do not want to create sculptures made from litter. It needs to be a creative, proactive, positive, fun, clever, possibly interactive campaign that somehow gives an understanding of why and what and to have a longevity in behaviour change. It needs to engage the local media and the target audience.
- It is important that the piece visually celebrates the achievements those businesses and increases awareness of the issue.
How to apply
To apply please submit:
- An expression of interest which includes an outline of your approach and experience (if any) of working on similar projects. No more than two sides of A4.
- A selection of images with examples of your work – please include JPEGS or documents of your images (no more than 10MB).
- A CV including details of relevant or similar projects and website (if you have one).
- Contact details for at least two referees who know your work and working methods.
Please submit your application to Sophie Franks,
Dorset Coast Forum Support Officer,
CriteriaThe appointed artist must:
- Have an experience with creatively engaging individuals
- Convey their aspirations and ideas to the stakeholders and businesses
- Incorporate the theme into an imaginative solution.
- Have experience of being able to produce high quality creative projects
- Deliver the project to set budgets and deadlines.
- Liaise with the kiosk owners and clearly communicate your ideas, concept, logistics and timeline for the project.
- Work closely with Litter Free Coast and Sea on the design, production and installation of the work.
- Deadline for expression of interest applications: 9am 15th April 2019
- Up to 4 artists will be appointed and paid a fee of £500, which includes travel and other expenses. to work up broad concepts of what they envisage. These concepts will need to be presented to the panel at the interview.
- Presentations for shortlisted artists will be held on the 9th May 2019 The final decision will be made on the strength of those presentations.
- The project must be installed in time for the school summer holidays or delivered during this time at the stated locations.