Please ask us for this information in alternative formats if needed.
Activate Performing Arts seeks a highly motivated freelance Volunteer Coordinator to join the Inside Out Dorset festival team
This opportunity is available to view in BSL - CLICK HERE TO VIEW A sign language version of this latest festival job opportunity.
To listen to an Audio Described version of this festival job opportunity, please click here.
Do you enjoy meeting people and can you use your influence to achieve amazing outcomes? Are you are passionate about Dorset and outdoor arts?
We need a Volunteer Coordinator to work on the Inside Out Dorset Festival. This iconic festival happens every 2 years and has been seen by over 100,000 visitors since it began 11 years ago. We have a unique opportunity for an energetic, enthusiastic self-starter to help bring ‘extraordinary events to extraordinary places.’ The Volunteer Coordinator role is important and integral to the festival’s success.
6 month contract to begin April 2016
Term: 25th April – 14th October 2016
Freelance Volunteer Coordinator
Activate Performing Arts seeks a dynamic and enthusiastic freelance
Volunteer Coordinator for the Inside Out Dorset Festival 2016
Time spent is at the discretion of the Volunteer Coordinator. We will need recruitment of volunteers to start in the last week of April, briefings to be held ahead of the event, and you will need to be available for delivery during the festival from 16th – 25th September 2016. Debrief/ handover to take place in October. We estimate the amount of time required to deliver the services required to be no less than 30-35 days during the contract term.
To recruit and manage a team of volunteers for the Inside Out Dorset Festival 2016 – who will support the festival team across production, stewarding, artist liaison, promotions/marketing and evaluation.
We will need the Volunteer Coordinator to:
- Lead on the delivery of the Inside Out Dorset festival 2016 volunteer programme: recruiting and managing approx. but not limited to 50 volunteers
- Act as the primary contact for all volunteers working on the Inside Out Dorset festival programme – responding promptly to all incoming volunteer enquiries
- Update Volunteer Database collating existing information and new enquiries including all contact details, access requirements, emergency contacts and personal interests/motivations
- Draft volunteer requirements in dialogue with the festival team by mid-June 2016 covering: Festival evaluation requirements, stewarding requirements, production, promotions/marketing
- Plan and deliver recruitment of volunteers via partners, existing networks, online listings and press announcements; maintain a record and database of recruitment
- Liaise with Associate Programme lead to coordinate on shared communications in relation to volunteer performer/ community participation opportunities
- Plan and manage the volunteer expenses budget, managing petty cash, collating and processing all necessary paperwork i.e. receipts and expense claims and communicating the requirements to volunteers
- Identify and organise training necessary for volunteers
- Organise and deliver face to face volunteer briefings, prioritising the health & safety of volunteers at all times
- Produce detailed volunteer schedule – final draft to be presented to Producer in early September
- Attend festival planning meetings where possible
- Produce and distribute volunteer information packs to volunteers and festival staff before the festival
- Plan and organise distribution of T-shirts/sweaters to all volunteers. Liaise with Administrator regarding production of shirts / badges etc. and the ordering of items for use by volunteers
- Work to ensure effective and safe working practices are implemented at all times in line with Activate core policies, safeguarding children, equal opportunities, health and safety, environmental and diversity policies
- Organise post-festival volunteer thank you event/communications
- Produce written evaluation report, handover work created and attend debrief meeting by 14th October 2016.
Fixed fee: £3,000
Expenses: Travel to meetings outside of the Activate office will be covered additional to the fee, as will accommodation and per diems where overnight stays away from home are required. It is anticipated that you have your own home office facilities and mobile phone in order to deliver of the Services.
Activate produces, promotes and develops the performing arts in Dorset with the belief that artists can affect and/or provide positive change in our communities.
Activate is the only strategic organisation in Dorset with the sole focus on producing and developing contemporary theatre, Community dance and outdoor celebrations/festivals. We work with venues, programmers, the education sector, artists, social services, environment, economic development, among others who all play a part in the ecology, sharing and delivering our aspirations with us.
Since 2005 Activate has produced the Inside Out Dorset biennial festival presenting high quality, large-scale, outdoor arts events to more than 100,000 people. Inside Out Dorset brings together incredible artistic work from regional, national and international artists and combines it with beautiful, inspiring locations across Dorset, Bournemouth and Poole. We aim to reach a wide demographic audience across the festival and most events are free or highly subsidised.
As well as the festival, Activate has a year round Associate Programme. This works with schools and communities prior, during and after the festival to increase the level of engagement of local people and widen our audience base. Our Associate Programme also supports professional development in the industry, offering talks, residencies and individual support to artists.
The Inside Out Dorset programme is managed by Activate Performing Arts. It is core funded by Arts Council England as part of Activate’s funding agreement as a National Portfolio Organisation and has had support from the local authorities and many other supportive funders and partners (see our website for more details).
Activate is committed to: innovation and creativity; life long learning; access; equal opportunities; quality and diversity.
Time spent is at the discretion of the Volunteer Coordinator. We will need recruitment of volunteers to start in the last week of April, briefings to be held ahead of the event, and you will need to be available and attend the events during the festival from 16th – 25th September 2016. Post-festival debrief and handover to take place in October.
How to Apply
We estimate the amount of time required to deliver the services required to be no less than 30-35 days during the contract term.
You must be:
- Registered as self-employed
- Have your own private transport
- Be based in Dorset
- Have your own office set up – space will be available to work out of the Activate office if required
- Be flexible and available in September – particularly during the festival from 16th – 25th September 2016
Please supply the following information:
- Your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A letter of application on no more than 2 sides of A4, setting out:
why you wish to apply for this position,
- the knowledge, skills and experience you can offer, set against the Role Description (please refer to actual activities/programmes and projects where possible)
- The names and addresses of two referees. References for shortlisted candidates will be taken up before interview unless you request otherwise.
We are happy to accept applications in other formats such video or audio.
Please email applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Monday 11th April, 5pm
Interviews: Week beginning Monday 18th April