Activate Performing Arts
Activate Project Manager
July – November 2018
Freelance Project Manager
Introduction: Activate’s mission is to be a national leader in presenting outdoor land-based arts and work with international partners in the development of this art form. We are guided by social justice and engage socially diverse audiences in our work and our associated work with indoor venues, promoters and community partners in our participatory programme.
We produce and help develop a diverse contemporary practice in performance. This includes dance, theatre, outdoor arts and all the extraordinary ways they are presented; from live art, physical theatre, digital arts, puppetry to contemporary circus.
Contract brief: This post is a 5 month role, working across Dorset that will support the regional delivery and outreach work for a significant national project that Activate Performing Arts are partnering on, with 14-18 NOW for delivery in the Autumn.
It will involve Project Management for a mid-to-largescale outdoor event that forms part of a commissioned programme of work marking the centenary of the First World War and will manage the community participation elements of the project along with assisting the Production Manager with logistical delivery.
This project will reflect both the geographic and historical stories and identities of the region.
The post holder will work alongside the Producers – Theatre, Education and Outreach.
We anticipate the services to be delivered in an average of 4 days per week from mid-July through to late November, although this might flex to reflect the requirements of the delivery plan. (approx. 20 week period)
The work will be commissioned on a fixed fee basis of £8,000 with expenses to be agreed.
Contract managed by: Producer - Theatre, Education and Outreach
Project Management Brief
Working with the national team at 14-18 NOW, the role will act as the regional Project Manager for a mid-to-large scale event planned for the Autumn, managing both the community participation elements of the project and assisting the Production Manager with the logistical delivery of the event.
Community participation tasks will include:
- developing a meaningful local community engagement plan and acting as the main point of contact for all regional enquiries relating to outreach activity, ensuring enquiries are responded to in a timely manner;
- researching local and regional organisations, ensuring local and historical relevance;
- supporting the implementation and delivery of the education programme in regional schools in accordance with a central education resource, tailored to KS1&2;
- engaging with a wide range of organisations, groups and individuals across Dorset including individuals, families, communities and participant groups who do not regularly engage with culture;
- ensuring a smooth flow of information between participant groups and Activate, such that all participants are kept up to date on the participation schedule of activity;
- drawing up a plan for participation management for the event day;
- oversee the distribution of materials as required for use on the day;
- maintaining a database/centralised system to record and monitor progress with participant recruitment, completing the necessary attendance templates and post-project evaluation surveys.
Logistical delivery - working alongside the Production Manager and Event Producer to ensure the smooth planning and delivery of the event in accordance with the event outline in the 14-18 NOW Producer Delivery Pack.
Key skills, knowledge and experience:
• first-hand knowledge of working on outdoor events in the public realm;
• experience of working with a wide network of partners with varying levels of experience;
• experience of generating community buy in and participation, including non-arts engagement;
• excellent communication skills, with the ability to build trust and report with a wide range of
people and personalities;
• ability to work on own initiative and prioritise a range of tasks with minimum supervision;
• enthusiasm for working as a part of a small, dedicated team;
• a keen eye for detail.
Local and regional knowledge. A knowledge or interest in local history would be an advantage.
Experience of project management.
Experience of or demonstrable ability to manage budgets successfully.
Brief: Project Management
Fee: Fixed fee of £8,000
Contract: 5-month post, mid-July to end November 2018. Approx. 4 days a week. Evening and weekends will be required to undertake the contract.
Expenses: All agreed expenses incurred in carrying out the work will be reimbursed.
Location of offices for meetings: Activate Office, Dorchester, Dorset. In addition, the contractor will work across the county to research and deliver the project.
Equal Opportunities: It is expected that the contractor will ensure that their work operates in accordance with the best equal opportunities practice, in line with the company policy.
To apply for this role, you must be:
• registered as self-employed;
• have your own private transport and IT equipment;
• be based in Dorset and able to work regularly from the Activate office in Dorchester;
• able to work flexible hours and be freely available for the period of event activity between 5th – 12th November.
Please supply the following information:
- your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae or company background;
- a letter of application on no more than 2 sides of A4, setting out why you wish to apply for this contract and the knowledge, skills and experience you can offer, set against the Project Brief. Please refer to actual activities/programmes and projects where possible.
- the names and addresses of two referees. References for shortlisted candidates will be taken up before interview unless you request otherwise.
Please send to email@example.com by midday on Thursday 12th July 2018.
Candidates selected for interview will be informed on Friday 13th July 2018. Interviews will be held at the Activate offices in Dorchester on Monday 16th July 2018.
Activate Performing Arts – www.activateperformingarts.org.uk
Activate is an equal opportunities employer.