FREE Performing Arts and Music FE and HE workshop opportunity
Free workshop offer with Trinity Laban, Millennium Performing Arts and Weymouth College in partnership with Activate Performing Arts.
The purpose of the day is to allow young people to have a taster of what they can expect if they wish to continue study of The Arts into Further or Higher education and to get a feel for what these establishments offer and their expectations of students who attend.
What is the offer?
Young people can sign up to two workshops in the day in the following disciplines:
Jazz & Voice
Who is it for? Young people studying GCSE and A-Level/ BTEC (or equivalent), interested in progressing onto FE and HE courses in the above areas.
When does it take place? Tuesday 6th February 2018 between 9am - 3pm (please see schedule for the day below for more detailed information).
Where? The Bay Studios Theatre, Weymouth College, Cranford Avenue, Weymouth, DT4 7LQ.
How much? FREE, however there are limited spaces for each workshop so it will be allocated on a first come first serve basis.
Schedule for the day
9.15 - 9.45 am
Registration in the Box Office (for those attending am only and am and pm workshops)
10am - 12pm
Workshop Option 1 (each workshop to include 1.5 hr practical class and 0.5hrs for course info, Q&A and evaluation forms)
12 - 12.45 pm
Lunch and sign out
Registration in Box Office (for those only attending the pm workshop)
All day workshop students sign in after lunch
1pm - 3pm
Workshop Option 2 (each workshop to include 1.5 hr practical class and 0.5hrs for course info, Q&A and evaluation forms)
DEVISING THEATRE WORKSHOP with Sarah Turner-Higgins from Weymouth College
A participative workshop where you can expect to work in groups to develop your devising skills and experiment with new ideas for creating original theatre.
- Those interested in furthering their skills in Acting and Devising Theatre
- Individuals open to working in groups and to participating and sharing ideas.
Please wear lose comfortable clothing
About Sarah Turner-Higgins
- Head of Visual and Performing Arts - Weymouth College
- Course leader FdA Theatre and Media Performance
- Industry background in both Theatre and Television Directing
PERFORMING ARTS WORKSHOP with Michelle Hodges and Michael Small from Millennium Performing Arts
A participative workshop where you can expect to experience a taste of the classes Millennium Performing Arts has to offer. The workshop will consist of a 45 minute Jazz and Voice (Musical Theatre) workshop followed by a 45 min Contemporary Dance workshop. Students must attend both sections of the workshop.
- Those interested in furthering their skills in Musical Theatre and/or Dance
- Individuals being open and eager to experience learning from industry professionals
Please wear suitable dance clothing
About Michelle Hodges
- Shelley has experience on stage in the West End and Broadway, playing a major role in Chicago
About Michael Small
- Michael's most recent 'outing' was a role in 'Mama Mia 2', which is currently being produced
CONTEMPORARY DANCE WORKSHOP with Will Aitchison from Trinity Laban
A participative workshop where you can expect to develop your skills in Contemporary Dance and sample a taste of the experience that the dance courses at Trinity Laban have to offer.
- Those interested in furthering their skills in Contemporary Dance
- Individuals open to working intensively and creatively, bringing their own flair.
Please wear suitable dance clothing and bare feet
About Will Aitchison
- Will trained at London Contemporary Dance School where he gained BA Hons in contemporary dance.
- In 2004, he joined Transitions Dance Company at Trinity Laban, a programme that brings together the world’s most exciting choreographers and exceptional young dancers touring the UK, Japan & Singapore.
- Performed in Matthew Bourne’s 'Swan Lake' completing two International Tours, a UK tour and Sadler's Wells season.
- Will has taught at graduate and undergraduate level as well as many youth and community projects and more recently at Arts Educational Schools London. He is currently the lead teacher for the Centre for Advanced Training at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance and has just completed the Dance UK Dance Teaching Mentoring Programme 2013-2014 where he was mentored by Kerry Nicholls and London Contemporary Dance School.
- Will still performs and choreographs professionally, recently co-founding his own company Anecdotal Evidence.
MUSIC TECHNOLOGY WORKSHOP with Andy Cleeton from Weymouth College
An introduction to professional music sequencing software, using a computer and headphones to create electronic music.
- Those interested in creating electronic music with computers
- Individuals open to working independently
Headphones and computers provided
- Course Lecturer for Music Technology at Weymouth College
- Former resident DJ for Hacienda in Manchester, Bakers in Birmingham and Escape Club in Swansea
- Designed soundtracks for award winning physical theatre company Frantic Assembly and Strathcona Theatre Company
MUSIC PERFORMANCE WORKSHOP with Rodney Teague and the HND Music Students from Weymouth College
Pop and rock rehearsal techniques, with Weymouth College HND students and Rodney Teague. Open to all singers/instrumentalists of reasonable standard.
- Those interested in furthering their skills in Music
- Individuals open to developing their pop and rock rehearsal techniques
Please Let us know the instrument you play beforehand, your approximate technical standard (e.g. Grade 4 or equivalent), previous experience and preferred learning style (e.g. notation, TAB, chord charts, demonstration etc.)
- Course Leader for Music/Music Technology at Weymouth College
- 25 years professional performance experience
MUSIC WORKSHOP with from Trinity Laban
We will do our best to offer you your first choice of workshops. However, as we have a limited number of spaces for each, we will be in touch to arrange an alternative option should you not be allocated your first choice.
Please return the form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Tuesday 6th February 2018.
If you have any questions, please contact Michaela Shaw or Samantha Gillingham on tel: 01305 260954 or by email: email@example.com