The Cultural Canapé Event
Wednesday 15 June 2016, 6pm – 9pm, The Brewery, Blandford
Creative Dorset and the RHPartnership are seeking a number of short (ten minute maximum) performances from artists local to the Dorset area, to take place as part of a networking event which will bring together the cultural and tourism sectors of Dorset, Bournemouth and Poole. These may be from any discipline, but need to make a maximum impact in a short space of time, and be as self-sufficient as possible with regard to technical requirements.
The event will be attended by a number of tourism businesses from across the county; as well as several key (non-performing) arts and culture organisations. Proceedings will be controlled and presented by a professional MC who will introduce each act at certain points during the evening.
Artists should be able to make an immediate impact (through visual appearance or sound etc) and use the short time slot to amaze, amuse or demonstrate the appeal of their art form. Interaction with the audience is not necessarily a requirement (although this can be possible).
The aim is to showcase a range of visual and sensory performance ‘canapés’ - high quality, exciting, amazing and unexpected – which demonstrate what is available locally. Performances should ignite conversations both at the event and afterwards; and should aim to spark an enthusiastic discussion between the sectors as to ways in which partnering each other can attract culturally-motivated visitors to the region all year round (addressing seasonality).
- The event will offer the following longer-term benefits to performers and the wider cultural sector in pan Dorset:
- Exposure to a range of tourism businesses that are looking to add value to visitors through using the arts and culture offer
- An opportunity to disseminate promotional material (for hotel/attraction reception areas, bedrooms etc); as well as offering digital links for tourism websites.
- New links with those who may wish to make bookings in the future through tourism outlets (whose contacts and databases can be used to sell quickly, or to a particular audience); as well as the potential to develop relationships with larger tourism businesses who may wish to offer venues/block bookings for a group from their hotel to the performer.
The venue: The restaurant area at the Blandford Brewery is a double height (fifteen foot) room with open staircases and galleries. There is no open stage as such; performances should therefore be able to take place in a small space with minimum infrastructure. Girders and chandeliers impact on the higher part of the space. Lighting is good however it is unlikely that this will be able to change throughout the event. There will be space for changing etc, although please be aware that there is no ‘backstage’ as such. As technical infrastructure is minimal, all acts are asked to be a self-sufficient as possible with regard to music etc.
Fee: There is a small budget for payment of artists, and fees can therefore be negotiated in due course.
All performers are welcome to join the networking discussion and talk about their work if they feel appropriate - emai Jacky Thorne to be connected: Jacky@rhpltd.net
Please provide the following and email to Jacky Thorne : Jacky@rhpltd.net
- an expression of interest and availability
- a brief description of what you can offer in the maximum ten minutes
- an idea of the space needed
- if appropriate, any technical requirements (which will be rather limited!)
- the fee (to include expenses and VAT) to perform
Closing date 31st May