LSI Bridport - Centre Manager
Salary: Up to £28,000 FTE (part time 3 days per week)
LSI Bridport is a major restoration and redevelopment project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The building is being converted by the Bridport Area Development Trust to provide a hub for the support and development of business. New spaces in the building will include:
- fit for purpose, well equipped training space
- meeting facilities
- work hub and innovation space with access to high speed broadband provision
- small office spaces
- café/eatery that will also host occasional evening talks and events
- newly fitted kitchen for the above
- relaxed orientation space with seating for informal meetings
The aspiration of the LSI is to become more than just a beautiful historic building with office space. Partnerships with strategic networks and organisations will develop business support services and the management of the workspace within the building will encourage and enable collaborative and creative working practices. The building will also be open to the public who will be welcomed into the café/eatery; meeting and training space will be easily booked for a range of uses and a programme of talks and activities will reflect the historic context of the Literary and Scientific Institute.
The LSI will build on its positioning as a strategically important hub for local economic development and become the ‘go to’ venue for business support and services and an important focal venue for the local community.
The LSI building is scheduled to reopen at the end of 2017. In the run up to that time the project will continue to deliver against agreed HLF outputs, with a focus on developing a series of integrated interpretation projects that will share and celebrate the significant heritage importance of the building and its local, regional and national context.
The Trust is looking to engage this key part time post at this time with a view to the appointee working with Trustees at an operational level, helping to develop and shape the LSI offer and to share in its ownership and aspiration.
What you’ll be doing:
As Centre Manager you will be responsible for delivering our strategic aims and creating an inspirational and supportive environment in which businesses can grow and flourish, while also ensuring that the building remains accessible and inviting for a non-business audience interested in its historic character and intrinsic value as a community asset.
To succeed you will need to develop strong strategic relationships within the economic development sector as well as the local community generally. You will lead, direct and further develop the
business plan for the building to ensure that it meets its financial targets and remains relevant and responsive to constant changes in working practices.
As the first point of contact for the LSI you will ensure that all enquiries are quickly and efficiently dealt with in a friendly manner; you will promote the building and negotiate engagement, monitoring activity and ensuring that the creative and collaborative working community within the building operates smoothly.
Upon appointment, your initial tasks will be to:
• Become familiar with the aims and objectives of the project, the LSI Business Plan, Management and Maintenance Plan and Activity Plan;
• Meet with and take ownership of contacts appropriate to the future operation of the building;
• Develop plans for delivery of Business Plan and Activity Plan including setting targets and strategies for achieving maximum occupancy and use of building;
• Develop and implement a plan and systems for the operation, marketing and promotion of
• Monitor and keep up to date, new LSI web site to be launched in the Summer.
Until the building is completed in the autumn, you will be required to work from home for which good internet access will be essential. Once the project is commissioned and ready for service, the Trust aim to appoint a part time administrative assistant. As line manager, you will be responsible for this post and as a team, for delivering the following operational tasks:
• Managing day to day operation of the building
• Financial monitoring and budgeting
• Business planning and implementation including expenditure and cash flow projections
• Reporting to BADT treasurer, monthly financial and operational results including monthly cash flow projections.
• Liaison with key stakeholders to ensure ongoing engagement and strategic positioning locally – including local colleges, local authorities, economic development agencies, local organisations and key community groups
• Support BADT fundraising activity including seeking strategic sector based funding support and community based activity
• Ensure cohesion amongst tenants in the building including regular tenant meetings
• Agreement of terms, licences and renewals for occupancy
• Activity planning and programming as appropriate to continue promotion and celebration of historic significance of building
• Marketing and publicity for the LSI including production and distribution of marketing material and securing regular coverage of new and events in local press, website and social media
• Supporting Trustees to ensure the building operates smoothly and in line with its aims and objectives
Who we’re looking for:
An experienced manager with a track record of successful management
You’ll need to demonstrate:
• Experience of managing all aspects of a public facing organisation
• Significant experience building strong, lasting relationship and working collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders
• Excellent interpersonal skills, advocacy and negotiating skills and experience of working with a wide range of stakeholders from volunteers to senior level contacts
• A creative approach, with the ability to drive improvement and change whilst working efficiently, being decisive and prioritising work and activity based on organisational need.
• Confidence in your ability to share your expertise and ideas with colleagues and clients alike
• Absolute dedication to customer service and a strategic approach to delivering new ideas
• Experience of setting, managing and monitoring budgets
• Experience of external advocacy, facilitation and an understanding of creativity and innovation within the business sector
• An understanding and appreciation of heritage and culture
How to apply:
Apply with CV and covering letter to hello@lsiBridport.co.uk
Closing date: 9.00 Monday 10 April
Interviews: Thursday 20 April
Centre Manager - LSI Bridport
LSI Bridport - Centre Manager