Activate are seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic freelance Assistant Producer to work with the Inside Out Dorset Producer on delivery of a Signature Event in October 2019, with an immediate start date.
The work is part-time and will be commissioned on a fixed fee basis of £1,000, with required working days and expenses to be agreed.
Activate and Cape Farewell will co-present the outdoor installation Pollution Pods by artist Michael Pinsky as the second Inside Out Dorset signature event. The work will be installed on Church Field, Brownsea Island, Poole in the week beginning 21 October, with the work open to the public from 25 – 29 October. While now an internationally-recognised nature reserve, Brownsea Island also has an industrial history, with a large three-storey pottery constructed on the island in the mid-19th century. This contrast, along with its picturesque views and landmark status both regionally and nationally make it an ideal location for this work.
©Pollution Pods in Tautra, Norway by Michael Pinsky - All Rights Reserved
Pollution Pods was commissioned by the Norwegian University of Science and Technology for Climart, and has been experienced by over 10,000 people globally, at venues such as Somerset House, London and at the World Health Organisation’s first global conference on air pollution held at the Place des Nations, Geneva.
Built for Earth Day by artist Michael Pinsky and Danish air filtering company Airlabs, Pollution Pods recreates the smell, heat, and haze of four notoriously polluted cities: London, New Delhi, Beijing, and Sao Paulo. Simulating each city’s noxious air inside plastic-clad geodesic domes, the exhibit contrasts them with an additional dome recreating conditions on the pristine Norwegian island of Tautra. The results are a mix of predictable and unexpected - what you can’t see or feel in the domes is as disconcerting as what you can.
We are looking for a part-time assistant producer to work with the Inside Out Dorset producer, and in collaboration with the team at Activate, on the delivery of the Inside Out Dorset Signature Event 2019 by undertaking the following tasks:
• Support the producer in the delivery of the Inside Out Signature Event and associate programme (outreach, artist talks, artists’ training or development programme).
• Support the producer in communication to the event team.
• Support the producer in day to day liaison with artist(s) and event partners by collating and sharing information and undertaking administrative requests.
• Support the producer in project budget management by collecting and processing invoices and volunteer expense claims and receipts.
• Gather requested information for contracts, license applications, work permits and insurance.
• Lead on volunteer & evaluator recruitment, schedule planning & management
• Assist the producer in ensuring effective and safe working practices at all times in line with Activate core policies, safeguarding children, equal opportunities, health and safety, environmental and diversity policies.
The budget for the whole of this brief is £1,000. The number of days required for this work will be agreed with the successful candidate.
Expenses: Travel to meetings outside of the Activate office will be covered additional to the fee, as will accommodation and per diems where overnight stays away from home are required. It is anticipated that you have your own home office facilities, including laptop and mobile phone, in order to deliver the Services.
Next Steps __________________________________________
Please supply the following information:
• Your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
• A letter of application on no more than 2 sides of A4, setting out why you wish to apply for this position and the knowledge, skills and experience you can offer, set against the Project Brief. Please refer to actual activities/programmes and projects where possible.
• The names and addresses of two referees. References for shortlisted candidates will be taken up before interview unless you request otherwise.
To apply for this role, you must be:
• Registered as self-employed
• Have your own private transport
• Be based in Dorset and able to work from the Activate office in Dorchester.
• Able to work flexible hours.
Please send your application to: email@example.com by midday on 16th August 2019.
Candidates selected for interview will be informed by 5pm on 21st August 2019.
Interviews will be held at the Activate offices in Dorchester on 28th and 29th August 2019.
Activate (Performing Arts Ltd) is the strategic organisation in Dorset focused on producing large scale outdoor performing arts and creating an infrastructure to support the wider dance and theatre sector.
Activate is committed to challenging perceptions that the arts are elitist and not for everyone. We seek to remove barriers to participation, particularly for under-represented groups and individuals and champion arts for its inherent value as well as the effect it has on our general well-being and health.
Activate has been based in Dorset for over 28 years as a charitable company, helping to put the county on the map with a high calibre of artistic work. We are an ambitious, hard-working and committed organisation, delivering social justice through the arts and maintaining the rich talent and venue development that supports the county. We deliver high quality presentations underpinned by high quality producing and development in the knowledge that the arts can be transformational.
Twelve years ago we launched the first Inside Out Dorset, a festival of outdoor art celebrating extraordinary events in extraordinary locations. Our work outdoors is now nationally distinctive. It is arguably the only place that is committed to a model that deliberately works across both urban and rural locations; that choses locations and the artists based on our artistic vision and clearly offers a programme that is particular to our area. Our relationship with artists, partners, audience and place is rooted in an ethical practice that equally values these aspects of the work.
Useful Links _________________________________________
Activate Performing Arts – www.activateperformingarts.org.uk
Inside Out Dorset – www.insideoutdorset.co.uk
Cape Farewell – www.capefarewell.com
Michael Pinsky – www.michaelpinsky.com
National Trust Brownsea Island – www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brownsea-island