Activate seeks a highly motivated freelance Assistant Producer to join the Inside Out Dorset festival team. This iconic biennial festival has reached over 100,000 visitors since it began in 2005 and we have a unique opportunity for an energetic, enthusiastic self-starter to help bring ‘extraordinary events to extraordinary places.’ Our programme of outdoor arts has been enjoyed by thousands of people and we aim for many thousands more to be involved during 2018.
Do you have the skills and enthusiasm to take up the challenge of this position? Are you are passionate about outdoor arts? Then this may be the contract for you and we’d love to hear from you.
We anticipate the services to be delivered in 2-3 days per week from April – August, full time from Monday 20th August 2018 until festival ends on 26th September 2018, and 2 days per week for the remainder of September and October 2018.
Closing Date For Applications: Midday Thursday 1st March 2018
Interviews To Be Held: Monday 12th March 2018
Ideal Start Date: April 2018
PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE ENCLOSED JOB DOCUMENTS
As the only strategic organisation in Dorset focused on presenting, promoting and developing large scale outdoor performing arts and creating an infrastructure to support performing artists, Activate aims to be a leader in this field, and having a significant regional impact and will:
- Be a national leader in the presentation of extraordinary outdoor performance and land-based arts through our Inside Out Dorset festival and signature events.
- Work with our international partners to develop the artistic practice in outdoor and land-based arts and be a national leader in the development of this work.
- Develop audiences as participants and ‘active spectators’ and to gain recognition for outdoor arts for its ability to create a ‘conviviality culture’.
- Inspire and engage children and young people in a programme that helps them to have a lifelong engagement in the arts and for those wanting to pursue a career in the arts, to offer progression routes for them, both ‘traditional’ and ‘non-traditional’.
- Present contemporary, engaging performance and support the production, promotion and development of extraordinary performance with our venue and promoting partners.
- Demonstrate that artists can both affect and provide positive change in our communities by delivering and facilitating a strong outreach programme in the community.
- Work in partnership locally, nationally and internationally to support artists, reach new audiences and develop existing audiences.
- Work strategically on producing, developing and promoting the arts in other sectors, such as education, health, environment, community development, voluntary, social enterprise, business and the wider creative industries.
- Audit the festival fully for accessibility and endeavour to be as inclusive as possible.
We are looking for an assistant producer to support - in collaboration with the team at Activate - the Inside Out Dorset producers and festival team in the delivery of the programme Inside Out Dorset Festival 2018 by undertaking the following key tasks:
- Support the delivery of the Inside Out Dorset festival programme and associate programme (outreach, artist talks, artists’ training or development programme).
- Support Producers in communication to the Activate and Inside Out Dorset festival team.
- Work closely with the Producers and Senior Administrator to plan the collection of donations at festival events.
- Support Producers in day to day liaison with artists and festival participants by collating and sharing information and undertaking administrative requests.
- Assist the Producers in overall and individual project budget management by collecting and processing invoices, expense claims and receipts, updating budgets as requested and helping complete final festival budget reconciliation float forms, receipts.
- Support in set up of key meetings, attending these and writing minutes.
- Research and liaise with suppliers: obtaining quotes and placing orders.
- Gather requested information for contracts, license applications, work permits and insurance.
- Book festival accommodation and travel, including private transport.
- Plan with Producers artist meet and greets, make and distribute artist and delegate welcome packs.
- Maintain and update databases such as Stakeholder database and Inside Out Dorset contacts database. Produce full draft of IOD festival contact sheet.
- Work with Producers and Volunteer Coordinator to plan festival volunteer programme.
- Assist Producers in ensuring effective and safe working practices at all times in line with Activate core policies, safeguarding children, equal opportunities, health and safety, environmental and diversity policies.
- Write evaluation report and send to Producers, attend sign off meeting at end of contract period.
The remuneration for the whole of this brief is £7,500 excluding VAT.
Expenses: Travel to meetings outside of the Activate office will be covered additional to the fee, as will accommodation and per diems where overnight stays away from home are required during the festival period, September 2018. It is anticipated that you have your own home office facilities, including laptop and mobile phone, in order to deliver the Services.
To apply for this role, you must be:
- Registered as self-employed
- Have your own private transport
- Be based in Dorset and able to work regularly from the Activate office in Dorchester.
- Able to work flexible hours and be freely available for the month of September when the festival takes place.
Please supply the following information:
- Your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A letter of application on no more than 2 sides of A4, setting out why you wish to apply for this position and the knowledge, skills and experience you can offer, set against the Project Brief. Please refer to actual activities/programmes and projects where possible.
- The names and addresses of two referees. References for shortlisted candidates will be taken up before interview unless you request otherwise.
Please send to email@example.com by midday on Thursday 1st March 2018.
Candidates selected for interview will be informed by 5pm on Friday 2nd March 2018.
Interviews will be held at the Activate offices in Dorchester on Wednesday 12th March 2018.