Activate - producers of the Inside Out Dorset festival (UK)
We are seeking to recruit a dynamic Artistic Director for our integrated youth performance projects Remix West and Premix.
Activate (Performing Arts Ltd) is the strategic organisation in Dorset focused on producing large scale outdoor performing arts and creating an infrastructure to support the wider dance and theatre sector. Our heritage is in dance and more recently theatre and outdoor arts. We continue to work in these fields, with a particular interest in cross art-form opportunities.
The Remix and Premix are exceptional youth performance groups for children and young people aged 7- 11 (Premix) and 11-19 years (The Remix).
Both Premix and Remix members are children and young people with physical and sensory impairments, learning disabilities and non-disabled young people.
The Remix was set up in 2007 in Bournemouth and Poole and is managed solely by Activate; in 2014 Remix West was established in Dorchester and two years later due to demand, Activate set up Premix for younger children.
The Remix and Premix meets once per month on a Sunday and also for a 2/3 day residency within February half term, Easter holidays, Summer holidays and October half term.
Remix East takes place in the Bournemouth/ Poole area and Remix West and Premix meets in Weymouth/ Dorchester. The sessions run from 10am-3pm and are part of the county’s provision of Short Breaks for children who are disabled.
The Artistic Director is always supported by a minimum of 3 qualified care assistants who are responsible for the personal care and support needs of Remix members attending the sessions.
Professional guest artists are invited to work with The Remix on specific projects in the school holiday residencies. In the past The Remix has worked with a number of high profile guest artists including but not limited to; CandoCo, Angel Exit, StopGap, Extraordinary Bodies, Stuff and Nonsense Theatre Company and Far Flung Theatre.
Activate seek local and national performance opportunities for the groups to promote them and to showcase the integrated work taking place in the County. This is a valuable creative development opportunity for the members and enables them to develop performance skills and confidence. In September 2019, The Remix showcased their latest piece, Legend, at Inside Out Dorset Festival.
The Remix is currently funded by Dorset County Council Short Breaks Programme, West Dorset District Council, Children in Need and through contributions from participants. Remix East and Remix West/ Premix have 2 individual directors, Remix East is lead by dance based artist Aimee Smith and we are currently seek to appoint an artist ( preferably drama based ) to lead Remix West and Premix.
• Facilitate regular meetings with The Remix and Premix, working creatively with the young people, partners and visiting artists.
• To create, rehearse and direct new work in both dance and theatre to be performed at platform events and local or regional events.
• To plan workshops and schemes of work on a termly basis
• To assist in the delivery of workshops and residencies with visiting artists/companies, including rehearsals
• To identify further areas of development, guest artists and opportunities for the group to perform.
• To be a role model for the young people and work with them to stretch their abilities to new levels, increasing confidence, skills and talents.
• Liaise with Activate through the project manager and with other freelance staff that may be required for the company.
• Attend partnership or steering group meetings when necessary.
• Assist the project manager in any ongoing monitoring and evaluation.
Person Specification and knowledge
• A qualification in Performing Arts (degree or equivalent experience)
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience of teaching performing arts in a community and/or education setting
• Experience of teaching/leading inclusive arts activities working with vulnerable young people and young people who are disabled
• Awareness of promotion and working towards public performances
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Patience and empathy with children and young people
• Ability to lead and motivate others
• Good time management, organisational and planning skills
• Ability to work to deadlines and achieve agreed targets
• Public Liability Insurance up to £5 million
• Hold a current enhanced DBS check ( or be willing to apply for one )
• Previous experience of working collaboratively with other artists
• Knowledge of a broad range of art forms
• Knowledge of the disability arts sector nationally
• An understanding of the education sector
Contract to begin in April 2019. Dates are flexible although it is expected that artist will be available one Sunday per month and 2/3 days during each school holidays.
Duration of contract: April 2019 – March 2020 (with a likely extension until March 2021 – depending on Funding)
Activate will pay the artist £200 per session ( inclusive of travel ) and it is expected that the artist will be required for approx 18 sessions throughout the year. The post holder is responsible for their own tax and national insurance.
Please submit the following information by email or post:
• your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae;
• a letter of application setting out why you wish to put yourself forward for this position, relevant skills and experience - please refer to the person specification;
• the names and addresses of two referees.
Post: The Remix, Activate Performing Arts, 7-9 The Little Keep, Barrack Road, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 1SQ.
• Deadline for applications is 1st February 2019 at 12pm
• Interviews for the post will be held on the 11th February 2019 in Dorchester
• Shortlisted Candidates will be invited to lead a short 30 min session workshop for young people from the Remix on the 18th February 2019.
Activate is core funded by Arts Council England, Dorset County Council, Bournemouth Borough Council, and Borough of Poole.
Activate exists to initiate, develop and sustain a range of dance and theatre opportunities for the people of Dorset and the South West. The artist is at the centre of everything that the organisation does. Activate is committed to: innovation and creativity; life long learning; access; equal opportunities; quality and diversity.
Since 2007 Activate has produced Inside Out Dorset, an outdoor arts festival of extraordinary events in extraordinary places. Their work outdoors is now nationally distinctive. Activate are committed to a model that deliberately works across both urban and rural locations; that choses locations and the artists based on their artistic vision and clearly offers a programme that is particular to their area. Activate's relationship with artists, partners, audience and place is rooted in an ethical practice that equally values these aspects of the work.