Activate, the Dance, Theatre and Outdoor Events Development Agency for Dorset, Bournemouth and Poole (www.activateperformingarts.org.uk) is seeking to recruit a dynamic Artistic Director for its integrated youth performance project The Remix.
The Remix is an exceptional youth performance group for young people aged 11-19 which was set up in 2007 in Bournemouth and Poole and is managed by Activate. The Remix members are a group of young people with physical and sensory impairments, learning disabilities and non-disabled young people. Activate is looking for an exceptional individual committed to inclusive practice to lead performing arts workshops.
- Facilitate regular meetings with The Remix, working creatively with the young people, partners and visiting artists.
- To create, rehearse and direct new work in both dance and theatre to be performed at platform events and local or regional events.
- To plan workshops and schemes of work on a termly basis
- To assist in the delivery of workshops and residencies with visiting artists/companies, including rehearsals
- To identify further areas of development, guest artists and opportunities for the group to perform.
- To be a role model for the young people and work with them to stretch their abilities to new levels, increasing confidence, skills and talents.
- Liaise with Activate through the project manager and with other freelance staff that may be required for the company.
- Attend partnership or steering group meetings when necessary.
- Assist the project manager in any ongoing monitoring and evaluation.
The post holder is responsible for their own tax and national insurance.
Person Specification and knowledge: Essential
- A qualification in Performing arts (degree or similar)
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience of teaching performing arts in a community and/or education setting
- Experience of teaching/leading inclusive arts activities working with vulnerable young people and young people who are disabled
- Awareness of promotion and working towards public performances
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Patience and empathy with young people
- Ability to lead and motivate others
- Good time management, organisational and planning skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and achieve agreed targets
- Public Liability Insurance up to £5 million
- Hold a current enhanced DBS check ( or be willing to apply for one )
Download pdf for job pack.
Please submit the following information by email or post:
• your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae;
• a letter of application setting out why you wish to put yourself forward for this position, relevant skills and experience - please refer to the person specification;
• the names and addresses of two referees.