30 hours per week worked over 5 days Mon – Fri with some additional evening and weekend duties as required (additional paid hours may be available)
This new post covers two areas:
As Administrator the post holder will be responsible for the smooth and systematic operation of Dorchester Arts’ (DA) administrative functions. It is a customer-facing role that includes close work with colleagues, volunteers, trustees, artists and audiences. As Bar Manager they will also be responsible for the planning and day-to-day running of the bar at the Dorchester Corn Exchange and for occasional ‘pop-up’ bars at other venues for DA and third-party events. The post-holder will report to the Artistic Director.
- Dealing with email, telephone and face-to-face enquiries from the general public.
- Setting up events on the box office system and being the ‘first in line’ for ticket sales and enquiries, in person or by phone.
- General office management duties, including distributing and sending post, filing, checking and ordering stationery and supplies.
- Co-ordinating the storage of DA’s event and office equipment and materials and ensuring they are accessible when required.
- Providing support for resident community and arts groups.
- Ensuring that the DA online calendars for events and room bookings are up to date.
- Promoting, recruiting and inducting new people to DA’s volunteer programme.
- Working with a designated volunteer to coordinate communication with volunteers for both office and event support.
- Liaison with Dorchester Town Council regarding the Municipal Buildings booking diary and providing them with information and booking forms.
- Arranging accommodation and hospitality for visiting artists, where necessary, for same.
- Arranging technical support, where necessary, for same.
- Working with DTC staff on set-up of venues in Municipal Buildings prior to events.
- Arranging duty management and volunteer support for all events and ensuring that supporting documents and materials are available for staff and volunteers on duty.
- Duty management of some events
As Bar Manager:
- Operating the Bar in a manner that delivers the objectives of the Licensing Act 2003:
- The prevention of crime and disorder
- Public safety
- The prevention of public nuisance
- The protection of children from harm
- Recruitment of casual bar staff
- Planning of volunteer and paid bar staff rotas for all events
- Liaison with third-party hirers of Municipal Buildings regarding bar requirements
- Organising cleaning of bar area and equipment
- Working with suppliers to ensure stock levels and equipment are maintained
- Negotiating best prices with suppliers to maximise profitability
- Stock re-ordering and rotation
- Attractively merchandising the bar to maximise sales
- Regular (weekly) stock counts and (daily) line checks to minimise wastage (below 1%)
- Entering and monitoring stock levels using Savoy Systems ‘Oscar’ software (training will be provided)
- Working closely with the Finance Officer on all aspects of income and expenditure, including payment of casual staff
- Ensuring compliance with relevant health and safety and licensing regulations
- Maintaining a clean, tidy and healthy work area
- Training volunteer bar staff and ensuring they are aware of relevant procedures
- Briefing casual bar staff and ensuring they are aware of relevant procedures and legal requirements
- Occasional bar service and bar management duties at Dorchester Arts and third-party events when required
- Working with others in the Dorchester Arts team to ensure that the bar is a popular and valuable feature of our ‘offer’
- Working closely with the casual and volunteer bar staff and the DA and DTC staff teams to ensure that the bar gains a reputation as a fun and efficient place to come to.
Administrative and office management experience
Excellent IT skills
Attention to detail and a methodical approach to work
Bar and cellar management experience
The ability to work flexibly when required (some weekends and evenings)
A commitment to customer service
Experience of managing budgets
No previous offences that could bar individual from holding a personal licence or operating as the Designated Premises Supervisor if required (NB – the holding of a personal licence is not currently a requirement of the job)
Personable with excellent interpersonal and team management skills
Eye for detail
The ability to multi-task
Experience of working with volunteers
To download the job description as an MS Word document: Dorchester Arts Administrator Bar Manager Job Description
To download the job description as a PDF document: Dorchester Arts Administrator Bar Manager Job Description
The role is planned to start in May 2015 and applications must be received by 9am on 27th March 2015. Interviews will take place on 1st April. A full job description can be obtained from www.dorchesterarts.org.uk/jobs or by calling 01305 266926 and requesting a job description by post.
Applications should be made by sending a CV and covering letter (referring closely to the job description to illustrate your suitability for the post) to the Artistic Director by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
The Artistic Director
Dorchester DT1 1XR
Please mark postal applications ‘Private and Confidential’