Activate Project Assistant, (Theatre, Education and Outreach) Inside Out Dorset Festival – freelance contract
September – October 2018
Project Assistant – Inside Out Dorset (Theatre, Education and Outreach)
Activate’s mission is to be a national leader in presenting outdoor land-based arts and work with international partners in the development of this art form. We are guided by social justice and engage socially diverse audiences in our work and our associated work with indoor venues, promoters and community partners in our participatory programme.
We produce and help develop a diverse contemporary practice in performance. This includes dance, theatre, outdoor arts and all the extraordinary ways they are presented; from live art, physical theatre, digital arts, puppetry to contemporary circus.
We are particularly interested in work that crosses art form boundaries – often it is here, where we bring disciplines together that something memorable happens. We are passionate about work that touches the heart, has meaning and integrity and with artists who will communicate with an audience and we will work with our colleagues to create a more diverse artistic offer and audience for the work.
Activate are seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic freelance Project Assistant to work with and support the Inside Out Dorset Producers on the delivery of the education and outreach programme for Inside Out Dorset festival in September 2018.
We anticipate the services to be delivered in 2-3 days per week from late August through to mid-October, then full time from Friday 14th September 2018 until the festival concludes on 24th September 2018, and subsequently 2 days per week for the remainder of the period.
The work will be commissioned on a fixed fee basis of £2,000 with expenses to be agreed.
Brief: This contract is focusing on outreach for our festival; Inside Out Dorset which will take place in September 2018. The festival creates extraordinary events in extraordinary locations, predominantly free to the public, all outdoors with some site-specific performances. In addition to this the post will support the delivery and outreach work for Paines Plough’s Roundabout, taking place in early October.
The contractor will work alongside the Producers – Theatre, Education and Outreach.
Reports to: Producer (Theatre, Education and Outreach)
Inside Out Dorset Associate Programme – 14th – 22nd September
In collaboration with the team at Activate - the post holder will support Inside Out Dorset producers and festival team in the delivery of the Inside Out Dorset Festival education and outreach programme by undertaking the following key tasks:
- liaison with partner schools to finalise schedule for project activity. This will include planning schedules for school visits and workshops in schools in Bournemouth, Weymouth, Poole and Dorchester;
- supporting schools attending IOD events as part of the outreach programme, assisting with on the day arrangements and being on hand to facilitate a smooth visit;
- assisting with the recruitment of community volunteers for specific projects;
- supporting artists delivering participation and engagement work, ensuring that they have a full schedule of activities and that all necessary requirements are in place for their project activity;
- assisting with the documentation and evaluation of project activity in the Outreach programme;
- assisting in providing feedback to funders;
- liaise with volunteers at Cherry Tree Plant Nursery to arrange for them to visit Inside Out events in Bournemouth, as part of the Fl-utter-ances project.
Paines Plough’s The Roundabout programmed at Bournemouth Arts by The Sea in partnership with Lighthouse Poole and Activate. (28th / 29th September 2018)
- Assist Lighthouse and Bournemouth Arts by The Sea in planning and running a programme of workshops and visits for schoolchildren in Bournemouth and Poole. Initial work will have begun on this by Bournemouth Arts by the Sea – including fund raising. The Roundabout will be programmed at the festival in October.
Key skills, knowledge and experience:
• first-hand knowledge of working on outdoor events in the public realm;
• experience of working with a range of community partners including schools and community groups;
• experience of generating community buy in and participation, including non-arts engagement;
• excellent communication skills, with the ability to build trust and report with a wide range of
people and personalities;
• ability to work on own initiative and prioritise a range of tasks with minimum supervision;
• enthusiasm for working as a part of a small, dedicated team;
• a keen eye for detail.
Contract: Project Assistant
Contract Period: approx. 22 days between 27th August – mid October. Full time availability will be required between 14th – 22nd September (including weekend availability) and 27th and 28th September. Flexible working will be necessary with some evening and weekend work.
Expenses: All agreed expenses incurred in carrying out the work will be reimbursed.
Location for meetings: Activate Office, Dorchester, Dorset and attendance at events and workshop activities in schools across the county.
Equal Opportunities: It is expected that the contractor will ensure that their work operates in accordance with the best equal opportunities practice, in line with the company policy.
To apply for this role, you must be:
- registered as self-employed;
- have your own private transport;
- be based in Dorset and able to work regularly from the Activate office in Dorchester;
- able to work flexible hours and be freely available for the month of September when the festival takes place.
Please supply the following information:
- your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae or company background;
- a letter of application on no more than 2 sides of A4, setting out why you wish to apply for this contract and the knowledge, skills and experience you can offer, set against the Project Brief. Please refer to actual activities/programmes and projects where possible.
- the names and addresses of two referees. References for shortlisted candidates will be taken up before interview unless you request otherwise.
Please send to email@example.com by midday on Thursday 12th July 2018.
Candidates selected for interview will be informed on Friday 13th July 2018. Interviews will be held at the Activate offices in Dorchester on Monday 16th July 2018.
Inside Out Dorset – www.insideoutdorset.co.uk
Activate is an equal opportunities employer.