As part of the Government's Kickstart Scheme, we have created 3 new roles at Activate. The Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion fund that is supporting the direct creation of high quality 6-month work placements aimed at those aged 16-24 who are on Universal Credit and are deemed to be at risk of long-term unemployment. It will give young people the chance to build their confidence and skills in the workplace, and to gain experience that will improve their chances of going on to find long-term, sustainable work.
Hours Per Week: 25 hours, 9am - 4.15pm includes 1hr lunch break. Paid holiday included
Rate of Pay: National Minimum Wage
Closing date for applications: 28th April 2021
Job Location: Activate Performing Arts, 7-9 The Little Keep, Dorchester, Dorset, DT1 2LT
Start Date: 10 May 2021
Support our Producer team on delivery of Inside Out Dorset Festival 2021 (http://www.insideoutdorset.co.uk/) this September, and accompanying outreach programme of activitites with the community.
Working with our Outdoor Arts & Festival Producer and our Theatre, Education & Outreach Producer you will work on the following tasks:
Hands on events support including:
- Attending site visits
- Preparing welcome and info packs
- Making event signage
- Support in setting up welcome and info points at the festival
- Acting as a ‘runner’ where required in locating and getting event supplies
- Meeting and greeting artists and participants in the festival
- Sorting and tidying festival production equipment.
- Making phone calls
- Inputting spreadsheets such as Stakeholder database and Inside Out Dorset contacts database.
- Create full draft of Inside Out Dorset festival contact sheet
- Collect and input data for reporting such as Evaluation surveys
- Help in liaising with schools, community groups and other participants in the Outreach Programme
- Assist in the production of marketing materials for the Associate Programme
- Research catering companies
- Attend meetings and take the minutes
- collect and return materials to our local storage unit, re-labelling and making revised inventory
- Assist volunteer manager with tasks involving the volunteer preparations
- Printing & distributing business & residents’ notice letters
- Researching and booking transport
- Assist the creation of the Access guides for festival artists and audience.
Essential personal qualities: organised and punctual, passionate about contemporary performance, outgoing and communicative, good at 'thinking on your feet', able to work independently, good communication skills and passionare about the arts.
Desirable Skills: competent with word processing and databases. Driving licence.
Desirable personal qualities: good sense of humour, interest and awareness of climate change/ environmental issues.
Day to day support: the role will be line managed by our Outdoor Arts & Festival Producer, Dom Kippin who will have regular one to ones with you. A weekly workplan will be provided. We will offer professional and friendly guidance from an experienced team of staff, encouragement to take part in and see a wide range of art events in the county. We can offer producer feedback and sector links relevant to your artform/practice if they are creative themselves. We will introduce the you to our Board of Trustees.
Networking: Our team will encourage you to develop your own peer network through Dorset What Next and networking events with other arts organisations’ Kickstart employees during the placement. We offer the following networks that you can tap into: ‘What Next Dorset’, the South West Freelance Task Force, our CREATE! cohort of young creatives, Dorset Theatre and Dance artists through Dancenet and Theatrenet, Dorset Theatre Promoters Consortium, Dorset Festivals Consortium and Women Leader’s South West.
Mentoring: To support you further, we will help identify an appropriate mentor and facilitate this dependent on your training needs.
Progression beyond the placement: you will receive support from us as a leading arts organisation, as well as our partners; support in job applications: searching, approach, CV and application writing. We will offer relevant training where appropriate through our industry networks and providers.
These posts are a part of the Government Kickstart scheme, candidates must be aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit to be eligible.
We can only accept applications from candidates who have be referred/recommended to apply through the Jobcentre by their work coach.
The Job Reference for this post is KSD6B8FCD9
When you are referred by your work coach you will then receive further information on how to apply.