Activate Marketing and Communications Manager
Activate’s vision is to create a rich culture of performing arts in and around the South West and to be recognised nationally for presenting land-based outdoor arts.
We present and promote and we support the production of - and help develop a diverse contemporary practice in - performance. This includes outdoor arts, dance and theatre, and all the extraordinary ways they are presented; from live art, physical theatre, digital arts, puppetry to contemporary circus.
This post will be to lead on the marketing and communications strategy for the organisation, supporting colleagues to deliver specific project communication campaigns and take responsibility for leading the delivery of the campaigns for the biennial Inside Out Dorset festival, our flagship programme.
Inside Out Dorset presents extraordinary events in extraordinary locations, predominantly free to the public, outdoor with some site-specific performances and an associate, or learning and participation, programme that takes place throughout the year across our communities. The festival presents international outdoor theatre and dance events around the sub-region, in a mix of rural, coastal and urban settings, and attracts audiences of between 20-30,000 each festival.
We are looking for an experienced professional who is eager to take up this challenge and work within this small dynamic producing and development organisation. The post-holder should ideally be based in the county with experience in arts marketing.
For more information about Activate go to our website: www.activateperformingarts.org.uk
Job Description: Marketing and Communications Manager (P/T)
Job Purpose: To manage the marketing and communications for Activate and associated projects
Reports to: Executive and Artistic Director
Responsible for: temporary assistants, PR agencies, design agencies, volunteers and front of house during festival periods
Works with: Senior Administrator (who assists with implementing the communications strategy and specifically the digital strategy)
Job Duties and Responsibilities
We are a highly committed team of people dedicated to our work and we need someone to communicate what we do to all the people we work with and for. The responsibilities include those outlined below.
- Devise and implement a strategic marketing plan for Activate and all its areas of work
- Devise specific project marketing strategies and support staff to implement them
- Take the lead on the devising, managing and implementing the marketing strategy for Inside Out Dorset Festival (the festival)
- Oversee all the company design, print procurement and distribution
- Oversee the company’s digital strategy including but not limited to website management and development, social media marketing strategies and e-marketing
- Identifying and creating other promotional opportunities to raise the profile of Activate and associate projects and support audience development
- Identifying opportunities for shared promotions
- Oversee copy for the company and co-ordinate the copy and images from artists for the festival
- Design and produce the festival brochures, press releases and other publicity materials working with appropriate external agencies
- Negotiating print and media partnerships
- Regional and national PR and media work
- Being a main point of contact for the media
- Working with the tourism sector to develop wider cultural tourism strands
- Reporting and analysing marketing coverage and impact
- Lead on audience research and data capture
Educated to degree level, CIM diploma or equivalent industry experience
A Marketing / Communications professional who has experience of arts marketing
Proven track record of delivering measurable results
Experience of charitable/voluntary sector
Experience in developing, managing and delivering marketing campaigns – both above and below line
Able to formulate plans and persuade others to support such plans
Excellent team player and communicator with the ability to support colleagues in achieving successful marketing and communications plans
Strong organisational and project management skills
Confident in maintaining a full web presence
Confident in using social media
Imaginative and used to working creatively with tight budgets
Analytical with eye for detail
- Own transport (desirable)
- Local knowledge (desirable)
- Able to work from Dorset
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Post: Marketing and Communications Manager P/T, 2.5 days per week.
Salary: £26,000 pro rata.
Contract: Permanent. The post is subject to a three months probationary period.
Hours of work: 18.5 hours per week days to be agreed. Flexible working will be necessary with some evening and weekend work. Overtime will not be paid but time off in lieu for work in excess of the stated hours may be taken, with the agreement of the Director.
Holidays: 23 days a year pro rata, plus public holidays. Holidays to be agreed with the Director in advance.
Expenses: Expenses in carrying out the work will be reimbursed in line with the agreed project budget and will be agreed in advance of claim.
Notice period: After the probationary period, notice is three months on either side.
Location: Activate Office, 7-9 The Little Keep, Barrack Road, Dorchester, Dorset
Equal Opportunities: It is expected that the post holder will ensure that their work operates in accordance with the best equal opportunities practice, in line with the company policy.
Please supply the following information:
- A letter of application on no more than 2 sides of A4, setting out:
- why you wish to apply for this job,
- the knowledge, skills and experience you can offer, set against the person specification requirements,
- knowledge of and understanding of social media in the arts,
- please refer to actual activities and campaigns where possible.
- Your up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- The names and addresses of two referees. References for shortlisted candidates will be taken up before interview unless you request otherwise.
Please email: email@example.com or send to: Activate, 7-9 The Little Keep, Bridport Road, Dorchester, DT1 1SQ
Closing date for applications midday Friday 4th August 2017.
Interviews for this post will be held on16th or 18th August 2017.