As part of the Government’s Kickstart Scheme, we have created 4 new roles at Activate.
The Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion fund that is supporting the direct creation of high quality 6-month work placements aimed at those aged 16-24 who are on Universal Credit. It will give young people the chance to build their confidence and skills in the workplace, and to gain experience that will improve their chances of going on to find long-term, sustainable work.
Eligibility – Universal Credit (UC) eligibility states candidates can still be eligible for Universal Credit if they earn up to £515 per month (e.g. through a zero hours contract or other work) or £293 per month if getting help with housing costs. This is called a ‘work allowance’. Candidates may also be eligible if caring for a child, an other person, or are pregnant, – and if candidates are over 18 they can be in education too. Candidates can also be aged 16-17 and eligible under these criteria if they don’t have parental support and are not under the care of the local authority. The full eligibility criteria are here
Working with our Outdoor Arts & Festival Producer and our Theatre, Education & Outreach Producer you will work on the following tasks:
Hands on events support including:
- Attending site visits
- Preparing welcome and info packs
- Making event signage
- Support in setting up welcome and info points at the festival
- Acting as a ‘runner’ where required in locating and getting event supplies
- Meeting and greeting artists and participants in the festival
- Sorting and tidying festival production equipment.
- Making phone calls
- Inputting spreadsheets such as Stakeholder database and Inside Out Dorset contacts database.
- Create full draft of Inside Out Dorset festival contact sheet
- Collect and input data for reporting such as Evaluation surveys
- Help in liaising with schools, community groups and other participants in the Outreach Programme
- Assist in the production of marketing materials for the Associate Programme
- Research catering companies
- Attend meetings and take the minutes
- collect and return materials to our local storage unit, re-labelling and making revised inventory
- Assist volunteer manager with tasks involving the volunteer preparations
- Printing & distributing business & residents’ notice letters
- Researching and booking transport
- Assist the creation of the Access guides for festival artists and audience.
Essential personal qualities: organised and punctual, passionate about contemporary performance, outgoing and communicative, good at ‘thinking on your feet’, able to work independently, good communication skills and passionare about the arts.
Desirable Skills: competent with word processing and databases. Driving licence.
Desirable personal qualities: good sense of humour, interest and awareness of climate change/ environmental issues.
Day to day support: the role will be line managed by our Outdoor Arts & Festival Producer, Dom Kippin who will have regular one to ones with you. A weekly workplan will be provided. We will offer professional and friendly guidance from an experienced team of staff, encouragement to take part in and see a wide range of art events in the county. We can offer producer feedback and sector links relevant to your artform/practice if they are creative themselves. We will introduce the you to our Board of Trustees.
Networking: Our team will encourage you to develop your own peer network through Dorset What Next and networking events with other arts organisations’ Kickstart employees during the placement. We offer the following networks that you can tap into: ‘What Next Dorset’, the South West Freelance Task Force, our CREATE! cohort of young creatives, Dorset Theatre and Dance artists through Dancenet and Theatrenet, Dorset Theatre Promoters Consortium, Dorset Festivals Consortium and Women Leader’s South West.
Mentoring: To support you further, we will help identify an appropriate mentor and facilitate this dependent on your training needs.
Progression beyond the placement: you will receive support from us as a leading arts organisation, as well as our partners; support in job applications: searching, approach, CV and application writing. We will offer relevant training where appropriate through our industry networks and providers.
How to apply
This post is part of the Government Kickstart scheme, candidates must be aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit to be eligible.
We can only accept applications from candidates who have be referred/recommended to apply through the Jobcentre by their work coach. There are no exceptions.
The Job Reference for this post is KSD6B8FCD9
When you are referred by your work coach, email, Irene@activateperformingarts.org.uk to say that you have been referred.
(Optional) You can call us if you would like to chat about the job and to hear more about Activate 01305 260 954. We are here to support you and to encourage you to apply.
When you are ready to apply, email us at email@example.com with:
1) A copy of your CV
2) A separate letter (no more than 2 sides of A4 total) or a video or audio recording of no more than 10 minutes long, telling us why you want the job and what skills you have.
Young Dorset Performance Makers – Creative Development Bursary
Activate Performing Arts
- Call Out for Young Performance Makers
If you are a performance maker between the ages of 18-30 and based in Dorset, Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole we are offering 6 bursaries to help you develop your practice. Awards of up to £500 are available to fund new ideas or to develop your practice as a theatre or dance maker starting out. You might be a performer, director, choreographer, writer or producer. Apply now if a small investment at this stage in your career could help you develop your creativity.
Closing date: 30th July 2021
Do: Theatre Outdoors – performance maker call out
Activate Performing Arts
- Call Out for Performance Makers
- £100 towards costs and expenses
On Wednesday 28 July we are offering a full day workshop at Symondsbury Estate in West Dorset. This is one of the iconic locations chosen for the 2021 Inside Out Dorset festival. Get a sneak preview of the site and join artists Lorna Rees and Paschale Straiton who are making work that responds to this rural location, to hear how to approach creating work in partnership with the natural environment. With support from The Leche Trust, we are able to offer 10 places at the workshop, which will be free to attend, with a bursary of £100 per participant towards costs and expenses.
Closing date: 5th July 2021
Festival Assistant – Kickstart (2nd Aug start date)
Activate Performing Arts
- Festival Assistant - Kickstart
- National Minimum Wage
As part of the Government's Kickstart Scheme, we have created 3 new roles at Activate. The Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion fund that is supporting the direct creation of high quality 6-month work placements aimed at those aged 16-24 who are on Universal Credit.
Closing date: 14th July 2021