AND (Land stewards AND artists) is a partnership that focuses on bringing together arts organisations that have a specialist interest in working in the landscape.
LAND’s vision is to create a distinctive collaboration between artists, producers, land stewards and environmental organisations, to explore our relationship with rural landscapes, the science and the heritage, through the medium of art while taking account of major environmental issues.
- to strengthen the relationship between partners, artists and land stewards in the creation and production of artistic work in the landscape.
- to develop audiences for artistic work in the landscape, particularly targeting young people;
- to development the professional skills and abilities of partners and land stewards in the understanding of this specialist field of work.
LAND partners worked with selected European artists, a range of regional and national environmental organisations, together with universities and schools, to deliver a comprehensive programme in 2018 – 2019: The key strands were:
- Presenting artists / companies who are developing their specialism in landscape sensitive work at festivals in all four countries.
- Residencies for artists / companies to develop new work alongside land stewards.
- Audience Development / Outreach programme for young people and schools
- Professional Seminars for artists, lands stewards and producers to share good practice and learning.
By offering the landscape as a field of experimentation, it offers the ability to re-think the landscape as a public space, in the hope of reuniting what is often seen as disunited or separate: humanity and its environment, art and nature, science and experience.
LAND offers additional outcomes and benefits:
- rural landscapes animated through art attracting audiences to experience it in a new way;
- a stronger cohort of artists working in the landscape benefiting from new European markets;
- a connected European network of arts organisations, land stewards and artists;
- academic institutions developing distinctive work supporting this practice in the industry.